The best overview of TEK is in this PDF presentation from March, 2007. Additional papers, theses, talks, citations, and press coverage appear below.
- Searching the World Wide Web in
Low-Connectivity Communities. (PDF version)
William Thies, Janelle Prevost, Tazeen Mahtab, Genevieve T. Cuevas,
Saad Shakhshir, Alexandro Artola, Binh D. Vo, Yuliya Litvak, Sheldon
Chan, Sid Henderson, Mark Halsey, Libby Levison, and Saman
Proceedings of the 11th International World Wide Web Conference, Global Community Track.
- Providing Web Search Capability for Low-Connectivity Communities.
Libby Levison, William Thies, and Saman Amarasinghe.
Proceedings of the 2002 International Symposium on Technology and Society (ISTAS'02):
Social Implications of Information and Communication Technology.
- The TEK Search Engine.
Libby Levison, Bill Thies, and Saman Amarasinghe.
Proceedings of the 2001 Workshop on Development by Design.
- Low-Bandwidth Web Access with Tandem Proxies.
M.Eng Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, May 2002.
- A Reliable Low Bandwidth Email-based Communication Protocol.
M.Eng Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, May 2001.
- Science Search Made Easier in Developing Nations.
December 13, 2005.
- Elsevier Collaborates with MIT Researchers to Increase Access to Scientific Web across the Developing World.
Elsevier Press Release.
December 13, 2005.
- Radio Mail Links Pacific Islands.
April 6, 2004.
- October 2003: The World radio program includes TEK in their feature on the digital divide.
- July, 2003: Radio
10 of Buenos Aires, Argentina features TEK in this interview (3MB WAV file, in Spanish)
with radio host Pinky. Thanks to Juan Reyes for representing
- July, 2003: BBC News publishes an
article about TEK, and TEK is featured in this
segment of the BBC Go Digital radio program. (The article is also
available in Spanish,
and for low-bandwidth
- Search with TEK.
The Deccan Herald.